What is Meteor?
You’ve heard people talk about Meteor recently. So here are a few things you should know about Meteor. Be careful when reading this because you will fall in love with it immediately:
- Meteor produces cross-platform code. Write once, run anywhere, from desktop to mobile platforms.
- With Meteor, your application is real-time by default. It integrates with MongoDB and uses the Distributed Data Protocoland a publish–subscribe pattern to automatically propagate data changes to clients.
- You can save a lot of time with smart packages. Packages are handled through Meteor’s package management site:AtmosphereJs
- It’s optimized for developer happiness. Beginning developers can quickly build something impressive, while advanced developers can appreciate Meteor’s flexibility.
- The community is extremely supportive.They organizes meetups, publishes free training materials, and offers help wherever possible.
Very cool, right? You can check out our products built with Meteor:
View, edit and share PDF files in the cloud: https://www.luminpdf.com/
The only app for raising money during your live stream: https://www.crowdr.tv/
Givepoint and more: https://dsv.boonapp.io/
“We aim to build a new platform for cloud applications that will become as ubiquitous as previous platforms such as Unix, HTTP, and the relational database.” — Meteor Development Group
Nowadays, there are lots of smart tools that help us build awesome things quickly and easily. Meteor is amongst of those smart tools. So why don’t we start using Meteor right now? 😀
How to install Meteor?
It’s totally simple!
OSX / LINUX
Install the latest official Meteor release from your terminal:
curl https://install.meteor.com/ | sh
Simply download and run the official Meteor installer: https://install.meteor.com/windows
Your first Meteor app
To create a Meteor app, simply open your terminal and run this command: